Last weekend Carter and I went up to Kansas City, MO for a concert. We love going to Kansas City for two main reasons.. IKEA and FUD.
I am obsessed with the vegan meatballs they sell at IKEA!
FUD is this awesome vegan restaurant that has THE BEST NACHOS in the world, so naturally it was our first stop when we go there on Sunday. Come to find out they only serve breakfast on Sunday and are closed on Monday… NOOOOOOO! So, sadly I did not get my nachos..
That being said I have been craving nachos for a week now. I gave in and made my favorite vegan cheese sauce and some tofu chicken last night.
This cheese is sooo easy and can be saved in the fridge for about a week (it won’t last that long). You can use it on basically anything (nachos, pizza, pasta, eat it with a spoon) whatever works!
Now into the recipe:
Vegan Nachos with cheese sauce and tofu chicken
Serves 4 – 20 mins – vegan – gluten free
for the cheese:
1/2 cup raw cashews (optional soak if you do not have a high powered blender)
3 tablespoons vegan cream cheese
1 cup soy milk (or other non-dairy, soy and cashew milk work best for this)
juice from 1/2 lemon
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon turmeric, cumin, chili
1 garlic clove
sea salt to taste
for the tofu ‘chicken’
1/2 block firm tofu
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin, chili, coriander, garlic powder, onion powder
avocado, salsa, vegan sour cream, cilantro, lime juice
- cheese- blend the cashews and soy milk in a high powered blender for 1-2 minutes or until very creamy. It should almost be the consistency of half and half.
- add in the lemon juice and cream cheese and blend again. add in all the spices and blend until well combined. add more turmeric if you want it to be more yellow.
- heat on stove top until warm and it slightly thickens.
- tofu- heat a small skillet on medium heat and add oil. add all spices to the oil and let simmer for a minute. add in the (dried) tofu block and crumble using a wooden spoon or fork. coat the tofu crumbles with the spices and cover.
- let simmer for 5 minutes and stir several times. let the tofu turn golden, but not brown. remove from heat until ready for assembly
- assemble nachos! Chips, cheese, tofu, cheese, salsa, cheese, guac, cheese.. you get the idea!
These will impress your vegan and non-vegan friends! You can also turn this combo into a tasty taco. Let me know if you try it out and how you like it 🙂
-She Eats Plants & Sweets